law-offices-of-stacy-sabatiniemail  845-243-0295



Modifying Child Custody in New York

New City, NY, Visitation Modifications Lawyer

In the years following divorce, there are a number of life circumstances that would prompt parents to modify child custody agreements in New York. The courts seek to prevent emotional-driven disputes, therefore the courts will agree to modify a custody or visitation order based on a limited set of circumstances such as:

  • Circumstances of the child or parent have dramatically changed since the visitation/custody order
  • Change in finances
  • Parental Relocation
  • Change in health
  • Abandonment
  • Remarriage
  • Abuse or neglect
  • Request of a child 12 years old and over

Child Custody Disputes: Negotiation or Litigation

At the Law Offices of Stacy Sabatini, Esq., our New City, NY, child visitation and custody modifications lawyer can help you to modify an existing custody agreement, or change a parenting time schedule. In many cases, we can help to resolve modifications through negotiation. However, when court intervention is necessary, we will aggressively protect our clients’ best interests through litigation.

To schedule a FREE consultation with our Rockland County, New York, custody modifications lawyer, please fill out our online form or call (845) 243-0295 today.

Child Custody Matters Involving Abuse or Neglect

In family law and divorce cases in New York involving neglect or abuse, a judge will require and affidavit to be submitted to the court detailing all the facts and allegations of the abuse or neglect. All facts must prove that the modification would be in the best interest of the child, the child is in danger either by unsafe living conditions or by the parent, or the child has been abandoned.

Parental Relocation

If the custodial parent makes a significant move that will have a major impact on the life of the child, it may constitute a substantial change in circumstances causing the court to modify a visitation or custody order. The courts will encourage the parents to come to an agreement on a plan where both parents may continue to have significant contact with their children. However, if no such agreement is achieved, the courts will carefully consider what is in the best interests of the child and make a decision about which parent should be awarded custody.

Children 12 Years Old and Over

In the State of New York, if a child is over the age of 12, the judge will hear their reasons for requesting a change in court orders.

Contact and Experienced New City, New York, Lawyer Today!

If you are in need of an experienced New City, New York, Child Custody Modification Lawyer, you can schedule a FREE initial consultation by filling out our online form or calling us directly at (845) 243-0295 today! We serve clients throughout Rockland County, Orange County, and Westchester County, New York.

By Stacy Sabatini



To schedule a free initial consultation with a divorce mediation lawyer, please fill in this confidential form or call (845)-243-0295.
Please fill in all required fields.
The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.